The aims & objectives of the institute are as follows:
- To provide trained technical manpower to the steel sector through short-term and long-term courses and to update their knowledge base.
- To bring awareness about the State of Art Technology by holding Seminars, Workshops, Symposia etc.
- To provide various industrial services and testing facilities.
- To extend consultancy services to industries in terms of solving technological problems related to product quality, productivity, performance improvement studies to reduce cost of production through process audits, improving energy efficiency and reducing pollution levels.
- To conduct Research, Development and Design work in frontier areas for providing updated technology to this sector.
- To organize for documentation and information retrieval services to the industry.
- To provide the platform for interaction between industry and educational as well as research institutions.